Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Azira
Azira

Nation Reputation : 104

The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! Empty
PostSubject: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 12:38 pm

I looked EVERYWHERE in here and I could not find anything related to the Orange Box.

So.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Orange Box.

What's in it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Original Release: November 2004
PC, Mac, Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

Pick up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, and find yourself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. You must rescue the world from the wrong you unleashed back at Black Mesa.

The original Half-Life sent a shock through the game industry with its combination of pounding action and continuous, immersive storytelling. Valve's debut title won more than 50 Game of the Year awards, was named "Best Game Ever" by PC Gamer, and launched a franchise which has since sold over 11 million units worldwide. By taking the suspense, challenge and visceral charge of the original Half-Life and adding startling new realism and responsiveness, Half-Life 2 opens the door to a world where the player’s presence affects everything around him or her, from the physical environment to the behaviors and even the emotions of both friends and enemies.

Original Release: June 2006
PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

Stepping into the hazard suit of Dr. Gordon Freeman, you face the immediate repercussions of your actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Rejoin Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, to once again aid the human resistance in their desperate battle against the totalitarian alien menace of the Combine.

Episode One is the first in a planned trilogy of adventures that extends the award-winning and best-selling Half-Life adventure. New Source Engine technology was introduced in Episode One to support advanced artificial intelligence, new levels of graphics and character interaction.

Original Release: October 2007 (Orange Box release)

As Dr. Gordon Freeman, you were last seen exiting City 17 with Alyx Vance as the Citadel erupted amidst a storm of unknown proportions. Now, in Episode Two, you must battle and race against Combine forces as you traverse the White Forest to deliver a crucial information packet stolen from the Citadel to an enclave of fellow resistance scientists.

Episode Two is the second of a planned trilogy of games that extends the award-winning and best-selling Half-Life adventure. Unique weapons, vehicles, and new creatures, friends, and enemies all make an appearance.

Gameplay videos at the same link.

Meet the team. The Pyro. The Heavy. The Spy. The Scout. The Sniper. The Medic. The Engineer. The Demoman. And the Soldier. Together they'll introduce you to the most exciting class-based action ever created.

Other games pay lip-service to class variety, while actually offering only thin variations on basic combat. TF2, on the other hand, delivers, offering widely divergent gameplay styles and appealing to a broad range of tactical abilities and skills. And on top of the nine classes themselves, TF2's unique game modes, signature art style, and persistent player statistics combine to create a wildly fun and addictive experience.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

PC Only:

Team Fortress 2 is continually updated through Steam, which has brought a variety of features to the PC version. Items can be found, traded, and bought to change the appearance of classes and give them or their weapons new abilities.

A co-op mode has also been added, where a group of players will fight hordes of robotic counterparts.

Portal has been called one of the most innovative games of the decade. A hybrid of FPS style and a new genre of spatial brain teasers, Portal offers hours of totally unique gameplay. Set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, players must solve physical puzzles and challenges by opening portals, maneuvering objects, and moving themselves through space in ways that used to be impossible.

Playing Portal today will teach you how to love a "companion cube", whether a computer named GLaDOS really wants you dead, and why your friends keep telling you
"The cake is a lie".

Last edited by Azira on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 180

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Wow
I never realized how huge that was.
I have never played any of those games.

Let me guess.
Another bad check mark?
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:22 pm

I honestly don't understand how so many people haven't played HL2 before.

It's like... THE FPS. Since I've played it, there really hasn't been a game after it that has impressed me on this level.

However, it's not your run-and-gun all the time like other shooters. It does have it's moments, but it also has its puzzles too wear you can take your time and just play with the cool gravity gun. Laughing

It is a MUST play.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Indeed.
Make sure to watch those vids up there, Sixer. Great stuff. Particularly the second two, as the first one needs a little context.

One thing I liked the most about the game was that often you could really use your own ideas to do things and there wasn't one set way to go about getting them done. I may have posted this before elsewhere, but here it is again.
I believe in was in Episode 2. I had just shut off a leaking gas valve that was spewing fire everywhere. Well, I made my way forward a bit, when all of a sudden I'm confronted by a darned horde of zombies. I backpedal a ways, getting space and looking for any manner of explosive as I'm fairly short on ammo, and don't want to have to hack them all to death (which is a perfectly viable option). No explosives anywhere, and not much gravity gun fodder either. Thinking quickly, I speed around the corner and turn the gas valve back on. But there's no fire this time. Dun! It's not a fire valve, just gas.
But the gas is there. I can see the slight ripple effect in the air. But how to ignite it? I look around, and still no explosives. How am I gonna set it on fire without-- Wait, a second. The zombies are closing in again, among the gas now. I point and fire...at the ground in front of the zombies. Bullet meets ground and sparks. Boom.
I know gas + spark = Boom is not exactly a complex idea, but I honestly didn't expect to be able to do something quite like that in that way.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 pm

I haven't played Episode 2 in a while and I don't remember a bit like that (but then again, I haven't played it in a while and don't remember) but there is a bit like that in Ravenholm. I actually turned the electrical switch and then the zombies burned.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Perhaps I shall rent them then.
There are zombies
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I believe it's the part in E2 where
Spoiler:
It's been a while since I played too so that might be a bit off. Plus, this solution may not have occurred to you at the time. If I hadn't wasted so much ammo prior, then I probably wouldn't have thought of it either, but would just have gunned them down.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 10:19 pm

HauntedHousePull wrote:
There are zombies

You can't rent them. HL2 is REALLY long, then there's 4-6 hours for each episode and at most another three for Portal. I've seen new copies for $30, and it's worth every penny. If you want to rent it by all means do so, but you probably won't be able to finish much.

I'm playing through the HL2 stuff again because of my annoyances with other shooters, so I'll let you know when I go through there Monkey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 am

I have the Orange Box, but I was kind of disappointed in it.

Portal was a lot of fun and really made me think. I like that. However, I was so hyped on finally getting to play Half-Life 2 that I think I killed the game for myself. By all means is it a good game, but I just don't see how it is better than some other FPS games of the same time. Episode 1 was a bit better, and I really liked the tone of it. As for Episode 2...I still haven't finished it. Neutral

And don't even get me started on Team Fortress 2. How I hate that game...
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am

Azombie wrote:
HauntedHousePull wrote:
There are zombies

You can't rent them. HL2 is REALLY long, then there's 4-6 hours for each episode and at most another three for Portal. I've seen new copies for $30, and it's worth every penny. If you want to rent it by all means do so, but you probably won't be able to finish much.

I'm playing through the HL2 stuff again because of my annoyances with other shooters, so I'll let you know when I go through there Monkey.

GameFly has it.

Shrug
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 10:59 am

Portal is cool. HL is great, RFOM has a feeling to it. Team Fortress is hilarious if there are people playing, you can't take that game too seriously. Can you rent it and renew it easily if you have not finished it?
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:21 am

Ratchet speaks heresy! Razz
Ha! I've beat something that Ratchet hasn't! tongue
And what are you complaining about TF2? I think that's as close to the vanilla version of the game as you can get, and I have no idea what happened to the PC versions. Laughing

Personally, I haven't had as much playing other games as much as I had when playing HL2. I've been trying to branch out: Crysis, Resistance, Halo, Bad Company 2, CoD (WaW and MW2). None of them really come close as to the amount of fun I got out of HL2.

Plus, I really, really love the Combine Pulse Rifle. Meanest-sounding gun ever. Very Happy= :D

Six, I'm only saying buy it if you can't rent it for an extended period of time. A weekend isn't really enough to scratch the surface of the Orange Box.

What's Gamefly do?
Back to top Go down
Turtle
Sixth Nation
Turtle

Nation Reputation : 15

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 1:06 pm

Apparently the PS3 version has crazy bad framerates and lag, so I never picked this up. I did, however, grab Portal back when they were offering it free to celebrate Steam's being on Mac.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Azombie wrote:

Six, I'm only saying buy it if you can't rent it for an extended period of time. A weekend isn't really enough to scratch the surface of the Orange Box.

What's Gamefly do?

Its a video game version of Netflix

You pay a monthly fee and keep the game as long as you want.
When your finished with it, you send it back, and they send you the next game on your Que List
Its what I have MAG out on now.

Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Turtle wrote:
Apparently the PS3 version has crazy bad framerates and lag, so I never picked this up. I did, however, grab Portal back when they were offering it free to celebrate Steam's being on Mac.

That is why you get the PC version. Laughing

In all seriousness though, that's why I haven't picked it up for the PS3. I would like to play that version of TF2 though as it might be the most balanced version out there. Sad I'd maybe get it to compare it though with the version I already have.

HauntedHousePull wrote:
Azombie wrote:

What's Gamefly do?

Its a video game version of Netflix

You pay a monthly fee and keep the game as long as you want.
When your finished with it, you send it back, and they send you the next game on your Que List
Its what I have MAG out on now.

Do that then, but try it.
MUST PLAY.

Razz
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Turtle wrote:
Apparently the PS3 version has crazy bad framerates and lag, so I never picked this up.

Suspect
No, it doesn't. Not that I'd ever noticed anyway. Played through it a few times myself and never had a problem.
I haven't much fiddled with TF2 though. Is that what you were meaning?
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 6:46 am

About 2 months ago I was given about 15 games, this was one of them. Somehow I'm still obsessed with R2 so I haven't played this yet but it sounds like something I might like.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Tryyyy iiiiiitt. bounce

Laughing
Back to top Go down
banded1
Loyalist
Loyalist
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm

portal is awesome
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 5:32 am

whatbearisbest wrote:
About 2 months ago I was given about 15 games, this was one of them. Somehow I'm still obsessed with R2 so I haven't played this yet but it sounds like something I might like.

Broaden your Horizons, this is a game that still handles its own against todays merch.

Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 am

Liamcifer wrote:
Broaden your Horizons,

I really try, but I think I have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:15 am

Meh I have the same issue right now with New Vegas. You could always give the game to someone to hide on you.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Liamcifer wrote:

I've heard about this, but I haven't read it before.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 am

Funny.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!   The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play! EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 am

I read the whole thing yesterday. Lolz. Laughing
Back to top Go down

The Orange Box - Team Fortress 2 is Free To Play!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top