Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:28 pm

You need to look at either "monsters as PC's" in the Bestiary section, which gives you the stats for a regular goblin, or 3rd party races, which will give you the high goblin, which is the race that I want to play for tommorrow.

Goblin:
- -2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Cha
-Small: +1 AC and hit, -1 CMB and CMD, +4 size bonus to stealth.
-Fast: 30 ft land speed.
-Darkvision to 60 ft.
-Skilled: +4 to ride and stealth.

High Goblin:
- -2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
-Small
-Fast
-Fearless: +2 to saves vs. Fear
-Darkvision
-Hide and Seek: +2 Stealth and Perception
-Weapon Familiarity: Dogslicers and Morningstars.

I need a backup character that preferably isn't a goblin, but is some mind of non-standard race.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySat May 28, 2011 1:42 am

Urgh. I seem to be brain burnt tonight.
The most I could come up with is an Oakling Monk that specializes in unarmed combat.
Can't seem to make the numbers stand still in my head long enough to make anything of it though.
Sorry, bud. Embarassed
I know it won't be ready in time for your game, but I can try and give it another go tomorrow. Either way, I do appreciate the link to that site. I intend to play around with it a bunch.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySat May 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Thats okay, I couldn't make the game today anyway. Family events come first.

If you really want to toy around with all the things availible, look into the Colaborators section for Ultimate Magic. Its the most recent book published by Paizo, who create Pathfinder, and is dedicated to all things mystical and arcane. Its got lots of great stuff in it, with my favorites being the Magus and its archtypes. Happy building.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySun May 29, 2011 3:59 am

Sorry you missed out then. Sad

I will have a look. Hmm. Wonder if I can talk my friends into starting an online game of this...
Something to look into. Smile
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySun May 29, 2011 1:46 pm

You should be able to. Its not a terribly complex system, but you can still have a lot of fun with it.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Most annoying thing to happen to me in an RPG so far:

Me: "I go through the misty archway."
Party: "We follow him through."
Dm: "You're all naked."
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Tomb of Horrors, I see. Laughing
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:57 pm

It would have been better if he passed a note to me saying "You're naked" before robbing us. *Sigh*

Oh well. Time to stat out Doctah Suppah Pimp.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:51 am

Lols to listen to.
Goes on for a bit, but doesn't end up repeating itself (much).
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 6:30 am

Nice. I'll see if I can throw that at my group next session.

And we "won" Tomb of Horrors through player ingenuity. Twas awesome.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 6:31 am

Elaborate when you have time. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 am

Basically, the reason for us having entered the tomb of horrors to begin with was to get off the island that the tomb was located on; a storm around the island had wrecked the ship we were on, and prevented us from leaving. We went through the dungeon, eventually making it to the great columned hall. In this hall, at the farthest end from the enterance, lies a great glowing gem stone surrounded by the charred remains of a previous party. At first, none of us would go within ten feet of the thing; but in the interest of seeing everything the dungeon had to offer, we handed it, via a spell, to the 9th level DMPC commoner (he is our guinea pig. For science). As it turns out, it was a gem of wish, and the DMPC wished for us to get off the island and be returned home. But like all things in the Tomb, this was specifically designed to screw you over, and the gem always, without fail, corrupts the wish in the worst way possible, and then explodes for about 200 damage. So, he dropped us in the middle of the ocean, and killed all but two or three members of the party with the explosion. After this, he proudly pronounced that this had become a total party kill, and that we would need to start the dungeon anew.

Until we brought a few points to this attention.
For one, he expected to kill me, the HEAVILY armored dwarf, via drowning. Except I was a psionic tank, and had the ability to switch places with an ally via teleportation. This ment that I could teleport into the space of the Arbiter rogue, who could fly and was untouched by the explosion due to improved evasion and an awesome reflex save.
"Okay, fine. Two of you don't die immediately, but you'll die from drowning due to the fatigue induced by constant swimming."

Wrong! I could take ten on the hourly swim checks, and was capable of healing myself for up to 10d10 multiple times a day, meaning that the nonlethal damage from swimming almost constantly could easily be compensaed for.
"But because you won't be able to get a good nights sleep, you'll eventually run out of power points, and will die after that."
Again, this is incorrect. So long as I float on my back, and the arbiter keeps my head out of the water, I can get enough sleep each day to regain all of my power points. The GM reluctantly concedes this point, and proclaims that at least he got most of the party.

However, this wasn't the case.
We pointed out that the monk would have as well survived the explosion, and those of us that were sunk below -100 hitpoints also would still be able to survive; in Pathfinder, there is a system of points that are designed to make PC's more heroic when it counts, and one way that you can spend these points is by burning two in order to not die when you otherwise would. Each party member had enough of these points to use that function, allowing those at -147 hit points to miraculously go to zero. Ordinarily, this would be of little help, since half the party would have to babysit the comatose other half. But because we had plenty of healing capability within the group, and I myself was capable of healing the others, we would easily be able to get the entire party back up to a reasonable amount of hit points, if not back up to full health.

"Okay, but you're not going to be able to keep everyone afloat, so some characters will inevitably die along the way."
Our psion, now back in business and all healed up, pointed out that he could create a boat using his mental powers, which would last ten hours and didn't require his concentration, meaning that all of us would be able to sail the seas without any worry of drowning or taking damage from exhaustion. He also had more than enough power points to provide each of us with our own boat that would last the entire day, so no swimming would be necessary.
"Fine, but you'll eventually starve."
Because starvation kills you via damage in the game rules, we would be able to heal ourselves and prevent starvation. Even if this didn't work, we would be able to go fishing.
"But you have no idea were you are! How will you find land?"
Using the stars and the proper knowledge check, we would be able to figure out our position and find the nearest island or continent.
At this point, the GM accepted the fact that his perfectly planned TPK was a complete failure, and that we had successfully won Tomb of Horrors.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm

"Won" is such a strong word...
However, you did manage to not die. This seems to be largely because of rules that didn't exist at the time of the module's creation (unless this was an updated version).
Did you ever get your stuff back? I thought you guys walked through the archway. If that's the case then it should have landed next to the boss.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

We spent hero points to retcon the situation, which was done at the GM's recommendation.

And this is an updated version of Tomb of Horrors.

Our "win" might have actually convinced one of the other players, who normally runs our games, to alter how we do hero points. Now we lose immortality, and gain plot armor.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Hero Points kinda sound like Edge in Shadowrun.
Edge is just another stat and you can use it a few different ways.
Reroll dice that failed a test. Reroll dice that succeeded in a test (but still keep the successes, of course). Use increasing amounts of Edge to continue rerolling if you still fail (prohibitively expensive a couple rolls in).
And one time you can burn a single point to use the Hand of Fate which basically allows you to not die. Depending on circumstances, it can also help your entire party. (Ie, the bomb does not explode.) Afterwords you aren't able to ever increase your Edge stat again.

You can still refill your pool, however. Edge stat = Edge pool.
The GM decides when your pools refresh. It can be with anything. When you take an extended rest (week or so), after a session, or anytime really. Once we did it based on the full moon. Just whenever feels appropriate for the type of game you're running.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 pm

A lot of games are developing mechanics like that. Hero points are gained at each level or when you do something suitably awesome/heroic, to a max of three points at any given time. There are feats and spells that can affect this (like increasing your max number of points to five), and they can provide any number of mechanical bonus's.
Back to top Go down
CptCrazypants
Fifth Nation
CptCrazypants

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:32 pm

My group doesnt really know/pay attention to all that technical suff. We just go pure RPing and have a good time.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Which is a perfectly valid way of playing.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:37 pm

We all get different things out of the game. That's what's great about it.
I consider a well played bit of character interaction as good as a particularly impressive use of existing rules, such as Omega demostrated up there.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:43 pm

A good character to RP can be better than all combats.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 Bluff
Laughing
Back to top Go down
CptCrazypants
Fifth Nation
CptCrazypants

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:57 pm

lololol thats us alright.
GM: A large man comes walking out of the shadows with a small group behind him and confronts you
My friend: I try sneak behind and pick pocket the stragglers
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 4:20 pm

But few stories are more epic than that of Old Man Henderson.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/10964326/#10968379
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 am

I'm also impressed with the cyberpunk one that's mixed in there.

Spoiler:

But Old Man Henderson? That is Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 860619 priceless. Everything about it.
I have a new goal in life.
bounce
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 13 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 am

As does everyone who reads those stories.

EDIT: Why a caster that knows that you're coming is absolutely frightening.
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gaming/campaignJournals/iSlew700InJustOver5Minutes&page=1#46
(Its the first post.)
Back to top Go down

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top