Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

Nation Reputation : 5

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 2:51 pm

eattheword wrote:
You guys are funny. Whenever I feel the need for a nap I just pop into this thread.

:-| I'll give you a nap.
Back to top Go down
PhillyPride88
Second Nation
PhillyPride88

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Unfortunately, my favorite series has been 360ed timed exclusive Sad Star Ocean is, in my very opinion, one of the best RPG series out there. I am going to sit on my hand and wait for the next installment to be released, and I am going to absolutely love it.

I am also going to enjoy FF...XIII? (I think that is where we are at now right?) when that finally gets released. The good thing about RPGs is that they may be sparse in being released, but you are looking at about a solid 100+ hours of gameplay if you look to accomplish everything.

In fact, there are some gems sitting in the PS store now for your enjoyent, including Suikoden, FFVII, and Wild Arms. I personally like the sprite character ones when it deals to the really old ones...FFVII is brutal on my eyes. I still think I am going to struggle through and play it though since I have never actually done so.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 pm

You make good suggestions. I, of course, already own a copy of FF7, but I just recently played Suikoden via download (Great little game, Waiting for the second) and am currently in the middle of Wild Arms. In both cases I've played games from later in the series and really liked them for the most part.

And, yup, we are on XIII due for release NEXT June. You're killin' me, Square! This game better be 150+hours of good, solid, diverse game play by the time I get it or else I won't think the excruciatingly long wait is worth it. No matter how pretty it looks.

I'm a little love/hate with Star Ocean. I've only played "Till(To)? the End of Time", and it had a lot to like about it. The sidequests, the battle style, the way the AI would actually learn to mimic your style. All awesome. My problem with the game was the massive leap in difficulty between levels in some spots. That and the fact that losing all MP knocked you out, too, with no way to prevent it. I get where they're coming from, but shouldn't the loss of all magic abilities be enough of a penalty for not having MP?

Oh, and Erik. Don't be too hard on eattheword. I sorta asked for that one with the title I gave the thread. However, if you feel the need to hurt him on my behalf in response to that terrible banana hammock remark, then feel free.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Loyalist
Loyalist
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 12:28 am

banana hammock! lolz. Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:
You make good suggestions. I, of course, already own a copy of FF7, but I just recently played Suikoden via download (Great little game, Waiting for the second) and am currently in the middle of Wild Arms. In both cases I've played games from later in the series and really liked them for the most part.

And, yup, we are on XIII due for release NEXT June. You're killin' me, Square! This game better be 150+hours of good, solid, diverse game play by the time I get it or else I won't think the excruciatingly long wait is worth it. No matter how pretty it looks.

I'm a little love/hate with Star Ocean. I've only played "Till(To)? the End of Time", and it had a lot to like about it. The sidequests, the battle style, the way the AI would actually learn to mimic your style. All awesome. My problem with the game was the massive leap in difficulty between levels in some spots. That and the fact that losing all MP knocked you out, too, with no way to prevent it. I get where they're coming from, but shouldn't the loss of all magic abilities be enough of a penalty for not having MP?

Oh, and Erik. Don't be too hard on eattheword. I sorta asked for that one with the title I gave the thread. However, if you feel the need to hurt him on my behalf in response to that terrible banana hammock remark, then feel free.

The whole leap in difficulty comment reminded me of the Breath of Fire series. One spot on the map doesn't give enough exp but you walk to another spot and the encounters are too damn hard!

What's wrong with banana hammocks?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Nothing, if you're lookin' to get some action at the local gay bar. Or if you're The Todd.

Back to top Go down
PhillyPride88
Second Nation
PhillyPride88

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:31 pm

You might have just gone to the wrong place at the wrong time. Either that or just didn't level grind enough. Either way, I still consider TtEoT the BEST RPG out there. It has everything that you are looking for in a game (map completion, item creation and customization, character collecting, hours...maybe even days worth of sidequests, an amazing story, amazing graphics, multiple endings with the chance to do a completed game second playthrough).

I think it's pretty obvious to see why I like it.

I'm personally hoping that they come out with a Breath of Fire for the PSN, as those games have an immense amount of play time available too.
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:39 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:
Nothing, if you're lookin' to get some action at the local gay bar. Or if you're The Todd.

I like to wear mine backwards.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I guess it's only fair. I give you some disturbing images so you have to give me one. Mad

It probably was that I didn't level grind enough. Never been too big a fan of that. Require too much, and it sucks the fun right out of the game.

I've only played one Breath of Fire game. Found it a couple years ago in the pawn shop(hereafter referred to as The Pwn Shoppe, 'cause of the nice rare finds I get there). Pretty fun little game, that. It was great (and kinda creepy) that you could merge your characters together to make new ones. I mean, I've seen that sort of thing before with the Shin Megami games, but we're talking main characters here, not replaceable monsters.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 am

New topic time again. Another OP question.
Features from your old favorites, or ones you'd like to see in an RPG? By this I mean anything in the gameplay that grabbed your attention. For example, the Suikoden series' army battles.
"Hey, you got RTS in my RPG!"
"No, you got RPG in my RTS!"
And the mixing worked just as well as combining chocolate and peanut butter into a Reese's Cup.

When I first encountered this sudden change up in Suikoden 3 (the first one I played), I was immediately grabbed by how much fun it was. Not only was it giving me a different type of gameplay, but I was finally getting to use all these extra characters I'd been recruiting. Different characters supported different types of unit with their unique abilities. Then there was the whole Rock, Paper, Scissors element. Lots of fun stuff.

So, what were some of your favorites?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 am

RTS in RPG...think the closest I've played in that would probably be Endwar, but the RPG elements in that are so minor... Haven't played any Suikoden games...
Back to top Go down
Shatten_Fox
Fourth Nation
Shatten_Fox

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 am

As good as it would be so see some good RPG games for the PS3 i would actually rather keep to shooters and racing games but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 6:04 am

Thats all we really do have on it at the moment. Something new and different of the PS3 would be a great thing.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Loyalist
Loyalist
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 12:45 pm

I know I like boring stuff and all (being a programmer it's an occupational hazard) but even this thread does have me reaching for the caffeine pills. Amazing. When my dad can't sleep he always reaches for the book of Numbers in the bible (the one with all the begats). Me? I load up this thread and it's amazing within two minutes I'm .................

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:rendeer:
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 pm

^ You know, I used to put all sorts of cool stuff in here, but some jerk or another has been eating all the words. Suspect

Anyhoo, when I said Features, I meant it to be really broad. Specific minigames that caught your attention, the ability to explore a large world map via airship, a really fun battle system that you liked. Anything like that.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Loyalist
Loyalist
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 am

I still think fondly back to Buck Rogers:Countdown to Doomsday (1990). It was a really nice turn-based game in which you had to specify your attack in advance, etc. It was a first-person RPG with an overhead view.

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 BuckRogers

You can download the game here.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 am

That's a nice little site there, Doc. Thanks! I'll have to play this soon. Used to watch Buck Rogers in the summertime on SiFi channel. Tons of fun, but it was cheesy.....Dangerously Cheesy.

First person RPG, eh? Reminds me of a game I played (almost) through on PS2 called "Wizardry VIII". First Person dungeon crawler. Certainly made things interesting. You would move about in a set area in 1st person mode and try to explore while dodging enemies. If you couldn't dodge, then you had to fight them in a turn based battle. That was pretty standard, except you were still in 1st person mode even though you could have up to six characters in a fight.
The graphics were nice. The style was different if not original. Heck, the story was even passable. The only thing that kept me from finishing was that right near the end, there were these enemies. Some genius had the idea to have them permanently drain your levels and Exp.
I did not spend the last several hours getting those levels just to lose many of them because I happened across a Greater Vampire Lord in a random fight! Grrr. Perhaps the first time I ever "rage quit" a game. And it's not like I didn't give it multiple tries. Its just that in that endgame area there were always blasted Vampires. Most fights had at least three! That one fight can drop you back ten levels easy. And if you do manage to survive it and get back to town there was still no cure. No way to repair the damage. Mad /hate
Other than that, it was fun.
Back to top Go down
Josey__Wales
Third Nation
Josey__Wales

Nation Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 pm

I just read through all the posts and was glad to see someone mention Suikoden 3. Its still one of my favorite games to this day. The touch of RTS really set it apart from alot of the other popular RPGs. I loved the trading system too. I spent way to much time writing all this info down about locations,prices,etc. All the time travelling and trading paid off though. I cant think of any other game with so many playable characters. Has anyone gotten all 108 stars? I never managed to get them all.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Welcome to the boards, my friend.

Yup, I've gotten all 108 myself. It gets you an extra scenario where you play as Luc, Yuber, and the rest of the gang throughout all the major events of the game. Not really any exploration/character developing/etc, but it does give you a good look at the plot from the "bad guy's" point of view. Btw, Luc and co. are the last few stars themselves. Good stuff, all in all.
Back to top Go down
QueensBoulevard
First Nation
First Nation
QueensBoulevard

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 am

I'd love to see some RPGs on the PS3

I've played all the Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger/Chross, basically almost anything by Square and loved them

13 looks good, the battle system looks a little strange with juggling combos and whatnot.

One series I enjoyed on the Ps2 was DARK CLOUD

im surprised they havent brought that out for the PS3
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:44 am

Ah, another new face. Welcome.

I played the first Dark Cloud a lot. Very fun designing your own towns, customizing your weapons, etc. Got a little monotonous later on, but it wasn't bad enough to make me stop playing. Built the Chronicle2 Sword only to break it and make another with even better stats using its essence. lol What can I say? That 100 level extra dungeon gave me a lot of time. Embarassed
The second one wasn't as good, but at least they ditched the silent protagonist. The golf mini game was fun to a point, but you had to clear out the entire level before you could play and it only gave you one shot. And way too many invisible walls. Sad
But, yeah. I really wouldn't mind seeing some Dark Cloud on PS3. Or any blasted RPG really. *runs off to kick square's butt for making me wait until June 2010 for a good RPG*
Back to top Go down
Shatten_Fox
Fourth Nation
Shatten_Fox

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 am

If there's one game i would like to see either a remake of or just a new game for the series would be Legacy Of Kain one of my favorite game series. I wish they did something with the series again. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:07 am

That was a good series alright. Defiance was good as you got to play as both Kain and Raziel, and the first Soul Reaver game was very good.
Back to top Go down
Shatten_Fox
Fourth Nation
Shatten_Fox

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 am

Yes they are definitely the best 2 out of the series in my option Soul reaver 2 was good but i hated the fact you had to play for ages b4 you could save. I enjoyed the story of blood omen 1 and 2 and actually liked blood omen 2 (don't know why most people who played the series dislike this 1 the most.)
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 am

Hey, guys. I'm sorry, but there's just too much action is those games. Not nearly dull enough to be RPGs.
So keep it down, with your action and your good gameplay, and your tomfoolery. Can't you see Doc is trying to sleep on the cot in the corner over there? If you wake him up, I'm making you play Superman 64! Razz
Back to top Go down

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top