Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 pm

As much as I like the idea of classes (probably just because I'm so used to them), I can agree that the move away is a good one. If it really is reading your skills and creating a fitting challenge, then you'll never be stuck needing warrior abilities when you've been focusing on mage ones. Quite curious to see what this Radiant Story can really do.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Allegedly, friendly NPC's won't mind that you broke into your house at night, and will actually give you a bed and a meal. If they can deliver on this, I'm sold.

Now that I think about it, all these really sandboxxy western RPG's are really making a lot of JRPGs less appealing.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. The problem I have with Western RPGs is that it's hard to find one with a good story. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with the Fallouts' stories, and even Oblivion's stories (aside from the main one) were perfectly serviceable.
But personally I want something better. A story that really draws me in like the old FFs used to. I would give much to play another well crafted, well written turn based RPG.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 5:51 am

Thats why I'm trying to find a copy of Final Fantasy 10, someone scratched up my current.

Anyway, I do find myself going more for the western RPGs now as the Eastern ones are losing their appeal. Its like they took what made them good and removed it bit by bit, trying to make them something more unique but essentially not so much.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Lots of new Skyrim info coming from G4.
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/articles/74266/the-elder-scrolls-5-first-look-preview-part-1-welcome-to-skyrim/
Spoiler:

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/articles/74285/the-elder-scrolls-5-first-look-preview-part-2-trouble-in-riverwood-questing-and-dragons/

Spoiler:

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/articles/74303/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-first-look-preview-part-3-dungeon-crawling-puzzle-solving-and-dragon-slaying/

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Here's an interview about Skyrim.

Covers some stuff we already know, but adds a few things.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Good find.

I'm kinda glad that they eliminated the eight primary characteristics from Oblivion (Strength, Agility, Intelligence, etc.). Now I don't have to pick and choose which I want to be better for builds that utilize more than two.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm quite fond of the attributes, but I can agree that how you raised them sucked. That's where the extreme min-maxing came from.
"Better be sure not to hit anyone with a sword for a while. Wouldn't want to go up a level on accident." Ugh.

What I want to know is how they're going to account for the missing attributes. In the article he says as an example, "when someone goes ‘you took out my stat’, I’m always like ‘well, which one do you want?’ If intelligence affects your magicka, well now you just have magicka."
Okay, but does Magicka also up your spell's effectiveness too, like Willpower used to?
What about Strength? Will that feed into health or stamina? Moreover, as I wondered before, will carrying capacity depend on whichever one of those Strength funnels into now? That would suck. I'd hate to have to have limited carrying capacity just because I want to play a mage character. Yeah, it does make sense that someone who isn't physically focused would be able to carry less. It's also darned annoying. I don't want to have to make 30 trips back and forth to town just to clean out a dungeon or two.
Too much we still don't know.
Tantrum
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 am

And still a bit of a ways away till it gets here. I'm sure we'll get something more concrete from them.
Back to top Go down
Turtle
Sixth Nation
Turtle

Nation Reputation : 15

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 6:36 am

Maybe they'll be nice and just get rid of limited pack space altogether. Or at least balance the system so that you don't have to make all those trips to and from one dungeon to get all its loot.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:03 am

Doubt it. That alone adds a couple of hours gameplay. If they cut that then people will give out it was too short.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 am

They said that all the benefits from the characteristics found in Oblivion have been roled into something else in Skyrim, so its likely that any given effect will show up as either an attribute increase, or a perk.

This is what the now-missing attributes did in Oblivion:

Strength:
-Governed blade, blunt, hand-to-hand.
-Determined encumbrance (Str x 5)
-Contributed to melee damage.
-Contributed to fatigue.

Endurance:
-Governed Armorer, Block, Heavy Armor.
-Contributed to fatigue.
-Determined health (End x 2) and health on leveling (+end/10).

Speed:
-Governed Althletics, Acrobatics, and Light armor.
-Contributes to speed of travel, distance of jump.

Agility:
-Governs Security, Sneak, and Marksmanship.
-Decreases chance of being staggered by attacks.
-Contributes to bow damage.
-Contributes to fatigue.

Personality:
-Governs Mercantile, Speachcraft, illusion.
-Helps obtain info from NPCs.
-Helps haggle with merhcants.
-Helps prevent or stop combat.

Intelligence:
-Governs Alchemy, Conjuration, Mysticism.
-Governs base magicka (Int x 2)

Willpower:
-Governs Destruction, Alteration, Restoration.
-Governs Magicka regeneration.
-Contributes to fatigue.

Begin speculating what will show up where.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Morrowind had a spell set called Mark and Recall. You could drop a Mark spell pretty much anywhere on solid ground (or atop water while waterwalking, I believe), then use the Recall spell to return to it at any time. They also had spells that would drop you at the nearest temple.
I don't know why they took them out, but I sorely wish they hadn't, and hope to see them again. I also know of a mod for Morrowind that gave you Multiple Mark and Recall, allowing you to set up several places and pick from a list.

Well, there is no Fatigue stat anymore, it's just Stamina. I expect everything from Speed and Agility will funnel to that. I never quite understood why those were two different things anyway.
I don't think anything from the other stats will influence Stamina.
Strength and Endurance will probably go to Health, with the possible exception of carrying capacity.
Willpower and Intelligence will funnel to Magicka.
The odd one out is Personality. It may be done away with entirely, but if it goes anywhere, then it's most likely in with Magicka, as someone with sufficient intellect is going to be able to manipulate others.

Since there are so few Attributes, I doubt skills will be linked to them anymore. I think that only their rank is going to determine their effectiveness.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:03 pm

I was thinking that a lot of the effects of former attributes would largely be rolled into skills. For example, encumbrance could be increased from perks that are tied to skills that are central to characters that have to haul things around, like stealth for sneaks and athletics for traditional fighters. Personality could be rolled almost entirely into speechcraft, and increasing the power of magic can tie into the specific school of magic that you're looking to boost.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Small new bit of info: Athletics and acrobatics did not make the cut from oblivion to skyrim, and will not be in the game.
Back to top Go down
Tom Brady's Hair
First Nation
First Nation
Tom Brady's Hair

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:48 pm

omega9 wrote:
Small new bit of info: Athletics and acrobatics did not make the cut from oblivion to skyrim, and will not be in the game.

Good! I am so pumped for this game! Gonna be a busy fall/winter.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 am

omega9 wrote:

Damn those were the easiest ones ever to level up. Jump and Run/Swim. That was it.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:33 am

Its not that big a deal really. I'm just wondering how/if we'll be able to improve upon sprinting.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 am

TELEPORTATION! I want a game that allows that.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 12:08 pm

As I've mentioned before, Morrowind allowed it. One spell would drop you at the nearest Imperial church, another at the nearest Tribunal temple, and the much loved Mark and Recall spells that would let you pick a spot and teleport to it at any time. I really, really want at least Mark and Recall back. Huge time saver and if nothing else, then you could never get stuck on rocks again because you could always just pop away (not always possible with Fast Travel due to out of reach enemies nearby).

omega9 wrote:
Its not that big a deal really. I'm just wondering how/if we'll be able to improve upon sprinting.
And jumping. It was always a ton of fun seeing where you could get to with a high Acrobatics.

Last edited by CobaltMonkey on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Its also been confirmed that there's a teleport "shout", so we will be to literally pop out of nowhere and stab faces.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:16 pm

That'll just be one of those 'teleport behind enemy' things, right?
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Couldn't tell you. It might be fixed, or it might be targeted. We'll only know when we play the game.

EDIT: A new interview with Todd Howard has confirmed that Skyrim will feature a new crime system, with distinct and different prisons. Its also confirmed that we'll be recieving more info on this at a later date.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Origin
First Nation
First Nation
Crimson Origin

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Has it been confirmed that this will be an awesome game? No? Well it should Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:24 pm

We'll likely have to wait for December to see that (November, plus extra time to see if bugs end up impacting things). However, I'm pretty sure that 90% of those following the game are very, very optimistic. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View previous topic View next topic Back to top