Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Chrono Cross coming to PSN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

Chrono Cross coming to PSN Empty
PostSubject: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Source.
Quote :
The Square Enix Twitter account has now busted through the 20,000 follower mark, and to celebrate they are going to release the classic RPG ‘Chrono Cross’ on the PSN. The sequel to the highly acclaimed ‘Chrono Trigger’, Cross sees you play as ‘Serge’ who one day slips into an alternate reality in which he had drowned ten years earlier. What follows is a complex tale of dimension travel and, of course, saving the world.

Producer Shinji Hashimoto, who manages the Square Enix Members Twitter, did not give a time-frame for the game’s release, or even a region. Our major worry is that as the game was only ever released in North America and Japan, the EU may miss out again.

On a side note, apparently Square Enix has another surprise on the way to commemorate the 20,000 follower feat which will be “something other than a download game”.
Another gem coming up for download. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 am

Is Chrono Trigger on it?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:08 am

You mean as of now? I don't know. I don't think it is. Likely won't be far behind though.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:18 am

Well i would rather play the first one, chrono trigger, then go onto cross. I hate jumping into a game series from the middle.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 5:22 am

Unfortunately, that's what I did in the instance. Played CC before CT. Worked out pretty well for me, really. What info you do need on the second one understand the story is minimal and explained well enough. You'll only miss a few references here and there. They play quite differently. CT is a more traditional JRPG. It's twist is that you travel through time, and what you do in the past affects what happens when you visit future times. The emphasis in this game is on the one big story. You follow Chrono (a silent protagonist) and grab a few people from different times.
CC is more of a character collecting RPG. There is still a good bit of focus on the main story, there's also quite a lot on each of the individual stories of the characters. CT gave you up to seven characters to play with. CC gives you more than 40 distinct characters, each having their own unique skills, and most having their own sidequests.
Both games have a New Game+ mode that allows you to get different endings depending on when you beat the final boss.
However, CC has the single most awesome thing ever released into any game with NG+.
The Time Shifter.
Pressing R button speeds up time in every single way. In conversation, in combat, in traveling. The only thing it can't touch are the cutscenes, and those are fairly short. The devs knew you would have to play through several times to get all the characters/endings if you wanted to. And they gave you the tools to alleviate some of the tedium. You'd be amazed to see how easy it is to adjust to running and quadruple speed. Very Happy= :D
Oh, and you can also press L the slow down time, though I'm not sure why you'd do that.
That aside, the combat in this game is distinctive despite being turnbased like in so many other RPGs.Everything has it's own elemental affiliation, with the accompanying strengths and weaknesses. Standard stuff, I know. Everyone has their own grid on which you place different attacks and magics called Elements. Each of those can only be used once per combat (though you can have multiples of the same kind) and only if your character's element level is raised high enough, which is done by attacking. Anyone can equip any element of any color (aside from summons). The grid is made up of up to 8 levels with more slots being open on the lower levels. Each element also has an designated level, but placing it above or below that level. Basically, a Fireball would deal 50 damage, a Fireball-1 would deal 25, and a Fireball+1 would deal 75. Of course with 8 element levels (obtained by defeating bosses) once you get up there, even a Fireball+7 can deal bid damage.
Of course, you can't even use those without raising your element level via physical attacks. Each round you start off with 7 action points. When physically attacking you get options too. Three levels of attack that have increasing damage, but decreasing accuracy. Using 1 action point on a weak attack may hurt less, but have a 99% change to hit. A medium attack uses 2 action points, but hurts more than twice as much and has only a 80% chance. Level 3's use 3 points, deal the most damage, and have a usual 66-70% chance. Using any Element consumes 7 action points, but you don't need 7 points to use one. See, you can go negative. At need you can pop a foe a couple times, then use an element to hit it hard. You'll just be at -2 action points and have to wait longer to act again.
It's kinda hard to explain, but see it in action and you'll get it in no time.

You know, instead of typing out all that, I should have just done this from the start. Ignore the guy talking.

I always forget I have such resources at my disposal. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Endlo-
Sixth Nation
Endlo-

Nation Reputation : 36

PostSubject: Re: Chrono Cross coming to PSN   Chrono Cross coming to PSN EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:40 pm

This is awesome. Great post, as well, Monkey.

Just to echo Monkey a little bit, you can play through Chrono Cross without having played Trigger, and you won't really be confused, or missing out on a lot. That being said, there is a lot of weird background stuff that's tied in, but unless you were really familiar with Trigger, or spent a lot of time digging around to piece it all together, they're still fairly stand-alone. If I'm not mistaken, that was actually one of the biggest complaints against Cross, as a whole, because fans felt that it didn't tie heavily enough into Trigger to be considered a real sequel.

The connections are there, definitely, and I love this game, so I'm glad to see it getting another release, and hopefully getting some renewed attention.

I know it's a bit pipe-dream, but I hope this does well. I know they released the DS version of Chrono Trigger to kind of test the waters, and were disappointed overall, but I'm hoping this will show some interest again, and possibly get some new fans into Trigger, as well. I can only hope that one day Chrono Break will come out of it's indefinite hiatus.
Back to top Go down

Chrono Cross coming to PSN

View previous topic View next topic Back to top