Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

kingdom of Amalur

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Does the 'test PS3' take into account the various models of PS3?

No freezing is great. The stutter isn't good, but can be worked with.
But what about the other bugs? I see no mention of those.

This is one I'm definitely going to wait and see on.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm

most reviewers that have a final build say the game is very bug free and feels very polished. the demo code is over 3 months old. why they released a demo with such old code I dont know,
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm

so apparently the reasons for most of the demo issues is that ea outsourced the demo to a third party. and they had to cut the content down considerably to fit it thriugh sony and microsofts requirments. in the process ended up cutting some content that was in the demo causing the dialog issues. and since that third party was using old code it still has a lot of bugs that were fixed in that final steetch.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:41 am

Well, I'm out.

Quote :
It looks like the House of Valor faction in Amalur's various kingdoms will be joining Catwoman in the limbo-like world of online passes. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning's House of Valor faction questline is dependent on players having an online pass that only comes with new copies of the game, as our reviews editor Richard Mitchell spotted in his retail copy of the game on Xbox 360.

According to the insert included in our copy of the game, online pass owners (read: those who purchase new copies of the game) will get access to "seven additional player quests" throughout the House of Valor faction questline.

Source.

I absolutely cannot support a title that does this. Even though I would have bought it new before, I won't now. Sucks for the devs because I'm sure it was EAs requirement.
If they want to keep people from buying their games used, then they should be giving their developers the time and money they need to make games that are so good people won't want to trade them in in the first place.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:26 am

article is wrong, that is not an online pass. new games come with a code for the first dlc pack.

whats wrong with offering dlc (something people usually pay for) for free to those who buy new
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 am

The near certainty (this is EA) that is isn't actually the first DLC, but rather chopped content. This is the same company that does things like selling you unlock codes for stuff already on the disc you bought (Dead Space 2) etc. I have little faith they would give you something extra when they could more cheaply hold out.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:56 pm

That's seriously lame , I am still watching the reviews though .
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 6:49 pm

*sigh* you clearly have little understnading of the development process. Things get cut all the time. They have a deadline to meet, and in order to meet that deadline things need to be cut all the time. Most of the time we dont know about it. and a lot of times after a game is released a developer will take something that got cut, and they will work on it and finish it up. and release it as DLC. and since there is about a month typically between the time they are finished with a game, and it is released a lot of times they are able to take something they almost finished, but had to cut, and they get it ready for release for day 1 DLC. This does not mean that they specifically cut content to get you to buy new. this is content that you would either likely never see, or would end up being DLC for the game at some point regardless.

(the above was not directed at anyone in paticular, just me venting at people in general who make blind accusations)

as for this game specifically I imagine it will be very similar to how dragon age origins was. and yes EA hasnt always been the best. especially when it comes to online passes. however online passes aside they have become a lot better then they used to be.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I can understand the need to vent, but please try not to sound condescending when you do it. Wouldn't want anyone to take it the wrong way. Smile

Personally, I knew that much about it. But to say whether or not the content was withheld for this purpose or not... We have only their word to say it is, and their past action to judge the value of their word.

As for them being not as bad as they used to be, I can't agree.
The aforementioned Dead Space 2 example.
Battlefield 3--They attempted to give permanently exclusive weapons and such in multiplayer as preorder bonuses. Not just skins, mind you. Equipment with real function. Later forced to back down by angry fans. That sort of thing destroys balance, after all.
Dragon Age- Shale is as fully developed as any character and backstory were in this game. Compare that with the way additional characters were handled in the similar title, Mass Effect 2 (also EA) where Kasumi and the other guy can't even enter dialog like a normal character.
Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 2 - EA acquires Bioware and gains more control over both properties. Result: Much shorter games, shorter development cycles, worse stories, "streamlined" to the point of not really being the same kind of game anymore. All done purely to increase profit.

No, I really can't say EA has gotten any better, or believe they ever will. So when they ask me to take on faith that they're not trying to pull a fast one, I can't buy it. The only thing I can do about it though is to not buy their stuff anyway, and to encourage others not to as well.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 pm

i cant comment on battlefield or dead space since those are two games i dont care for so am unfamilar with, however is it at all possible that because of how they handled characters in the past, and the complaints about it that they decided to fix that problem. but of course it is ea so that cant even be a possibility. and it also couldnt possibly be that due to time constraints they werent able to finish the character in time for release, so they already had the proper things in place for the character to interact with properly, but there were some other issues with the character that still needed too much work for it to be ready for release and that is why he was cut. not just for the sole purpose of making people buy him seperately

if anything id say ea is really good at taking unfinished work, work that most studios would just throw out, and turning that into a new product that they can make some money off of.

edit, http://www.destructoid.com/38-studios-explains-kingdoms-of-amalur-online-pass-220491.phtml
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Is it impossible EA will change? Of course not.
Based on their history, does is seem likely? No.
Earning a bad image is easy. Even if they really do make an effort to change, it'll be a long time before they can hope to wash that away.

I can't recall a Bioware game ever feeling rushed or incomplete before coming under the outright ownership of EA. Compare Dragon Age 1 & 2.
In DA1, EA could insist on certain business practices involved in the release, but the control was still mostly Bioware's. The game was finished and fully fleshed out.
EA acquires Bioware.
In DA2, the game is given far, far less time to be developed (EA's call), and the result is a rushed mess compared to the original.

As to the article, the same comment was in my original source. The dev isn't going to be able to say anything the publisher/owner/source of funding disagrees with. What happens if they cast a bad light on their publisher? It's professional suicide. Not only wouldn't that publisher keep them in the future, but no other would either for fear of them speaking on any of their actions.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:47 am

bad company 2 had like the first 4 dlc's already on the retail disc, and you paid for the 200kb unlock code ><

personally im really indifferent to the whole online pass thing. every year there are a couple games that i will buy new and there is a bucketload of ones that i will get at cutrate prices from online vendors. if i get it used i would hope that i have the foresight to look for prices that would be cheaper still factoring in the pass cost.

if i get some extra booty for something that i was already going to get new anyways, i could care less either way because the end result is the same. especially if its a single player game.

ill also accept the fact that im probably missing something here, as that generally happens alot.

to sum up this diatribe: no entity in the world can stop me from getting games on the cheap if they are not on my "must have list of selfishness".
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 am

coming out tomarrow. i should have a copy waiting on my doorstep when i wake up in the afternoon, lol
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 am

Free game on Dmicks Doorstop, limited availability.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:35 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

dmick: wheres my game?
roommate: dunno, but why is axis spray painted on our door?
dmick: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 am

Geez this game looks fun. I detest Curt Schilling tho so I'm still on the fence. If it is game of the year material who knows I may have to toss aside my prejudice.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am

I'm on the fence on it too...
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am

what do you have against curt?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

If anyone's interested, R.A. Salvatore is doing an AMA on reddit. Lots of talk about his books so far, but he's open to questions about this game too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/pey0c/i_am_ra_salvatore_firsttime_reddit_visitor_ive/
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm

nobody wrote:
what do you have against curt?

I think he is a prime time #1 D-bag. He may be born again but I don't think he acts that way.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:35 pm

why? Its the 1st I've heard of that
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm

nobody wrote:
why? Its the 1st I've heard of that

Lots of things he says offend me for example he posted this this on his blog/ Its Anti-American and racist and just plain nasty in my opinion. When I compare him and Tim Tebow I realize what Christians are supposed to be.

Quote :
The swooning frenzy over the choice of Barack Obama as President of the United States must be one of the most absurd waves of self-deception and swirling fantasy ever to sweep through an advanced civilization… If you can believe that this undistinguished and conventionally Left-wing machine politician is a sort of secular saviour, then you can believe anything…

I was in Washington DC the night of the election… As I walked… there had been a few white people blowing car horns and shouting, as the result became clear. But among the Mexicans, Salvadorans and the other Third World nationalities, there was something like ecstasy.

They grasped the real significance of this moment. They knew it meant that America had finally switched sides in a global cultural war… The United States, having for the most part a deeply conservative people, had until now just about stood out against many of the mistakes which have ruined so much of the rest of the world.

Suspicious of welfare addiction, feeble justice and high taxes, totally committed to preserving its own national sovereignty, unabashedly Christian in a world part secular and part Muslim, suspicious of the Great Global Warming panic, [the United States] was unique…

And now the US, like Britain before it, has begun the long slow descent into the Third World. How sad…
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 am

(o.O) Nice guy... Englands Third World? Anywho doesn't need to be said, any reply coming back in response to the political opinion above in the quote does not need to be posted or expanded upon or your own political thoughts on the quote. Its just there as an example of the guys character and not a lead into any discussion on anything political. Mostly cause politics confuse me and bores me and discussions tend to get or seem to get heated and blah blah blah blah blah. This is not a warning at you R just cutting off anything polictical.

All I know otherwise is that I'm just not sure about the game itself.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Sorry about that Liam... I tried to answer in a general way but Nobody wanted specifics. I'll just PM that kind of stuff from now on.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

personal feelings aside for the guy:

i havent been able to play it yet with my schedule. it will have to wait until the weekend.
Back to top Go down

kingdom of Amalur

View previous topic View next topic Back to top