Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

kingdom of Amalur

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 am

i love the hookshot thingy to reel in enemies, or launch myself into them. i just sort of bounce around with weapons but right now the best i have is a longsword.

i love the little bogey enemies because if you sneak up on them sometimes they are chasing little fairies or butterflies. they truly are happy until i kill them.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:03 pm

yea the hookshot is awesome. You can do a full combo, and as soon as the final hit lands do the hookshot to reel him back in and do the full combo again, you can do this over and over as long as you've got the mama

Also I just picked up the guide that finally came out and it is by far the most detailed in depth strategy guide I've ever seen. Its 600 pages and thats all information no pages of concept art as filler
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm

holy crap. cost?
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:57 am

Just bought this today sooooper cheap. Wont play it in a while tho..
Seems like one of those games that I can just play in between games for the next few years.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 am

not a bad way to play it.

just a heads up though when you 1st enter a area it sets the area as close to your level as possible. all the enemies and items and everything will be scaled to that level. it doesnt change with you or anything. so it is recommended to do everything in an area before going on to the next.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:25 am

Wow this game has kept its market value pretty high. Cheapest I could get a used like new one on Amazon was around $35 dollars and since its EA they might have codes for something. Brand new its $44 and change.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:46 am

It's the opposite in NZ, I saw it on sale last night for $39 NZ, about $30 US. Though that was a really good deal. Usually around $69.
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 4:17 am

Its usually the full price here in Australia.. I got it cheap during a one off sale.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 4:24 am

I'll probably pick this up one day, I'm really enjoying the RPG genre at the moment. Let us know your impressions whenever you get the chance to sit down with it Wolf !! Wink
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 5:28 am

if you want impressions ive got 300+ hours worth.

Its an excellent game. great combat, interesting story, lots to do, etc, but for everything this game does that is so great, it has some flaw that totally undermines its greatness.

it has very deep fighting mechanics, but the game doesnt do a proper job explaining the deeper end of it. Only reason I even know its so deep is because the strategy guide does go into such amazing depth for everything, and does explain it all.

there are a lot of cool and interesting abilities, and as mentioned previously the deep combat, but its all just way too easy even on hard. on my 2nd playthrough I restricted myself to only using gear that I picked up, and only used potions when transferring zones, and yet there were still less then a dozen times where the game actually felt truly challenging. granted some of those times that were challenging I literally spent hours doing the same fight over and over.

There is so much to see and do, but the way areas/enemies level to you makes it impossible to do all that and maintain a challenge at all. each area has a level range, and when you 1st enter an area all the enemies items etc are set to as close to your level as that level range will allow. (if your in that range it sets it to you, if your below it it sets it to the bottom of the range, and opposite for above it) the level of that area never changes once you enter it. so if you just pass through an area on a quest (which if you want to focus on the main quest youll do a lot) then when you come back to that area everything will be very weak compared to you. on my 2nd playthrough I looked at a map that showed all the areas and their level range, and planned out a specific order so that I could do and see all the game had to offer without it becoming too easy.

also the biggest problem with this game is the potion system. you can have an infinite amount of potions, they fully heal you instantly, are very quick and easy to use. (left pad is health right dpad is mana), and it is very easy to get tons of them. you can strong arm your way through any situation as long as you have enough potions, which is not hard to do.

Now I know I gave lots of issues this game has, but it is still one of my favorite games this year, and is a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 am

Pretty much all of its flaws is the reason that I picked it up. I was looking for a nice easy game which is challenging at times, but not so that Id stress if I had to stop playing and couldn't beat a level/quest. A game that I could just drop in and out of and do anything from hack and slash to quests to unlocking trophies etc.
Your post above makes me happy with my purchase. It seems this was just the thing I was looking for.

Also, after watching a game review, Im quite happy with the fact that you get to mix and match your classes. Seems that once Im finished exploring the limitations of one class set, I can just go back to basics and make another one...

But one last question. Is this an addictive game?? Like I said, I dont really want to be thinking about this game while Im not playing it.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

It can be addicting. There are so many sidequests that you will run into that will cause you to get into the mindset of "just one more before bed".

BAM! Its 3am.

I had fun with this game though, and only had it freeze on me once.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Usually decent games will stay pricey... sometimes its just bad pricing but it seems like this is a good fun game.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 5:49 pm

its the combat system that really had me. not complex in the least but very fluid.

amazon does not have any cheaper copies?
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:49 am

actuially youd be surprised at how deep the combat is. the strategy guide has like 20 pages on general combat. each weapon has 1-2 pages going much deeper then the game ever bothers to
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:49 am

Just started this today. So good.
Im loving all the side quests and what not.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

so apparently I was wrong. to anyone who remembers the relevant discussion. (no clue what page it was on and who it was with)

Quote :
38 Studios COO Bill Thomas said that the revenue split on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning gave 70% of profits to publisher EA with 30% going directly to 38.

also apparently it looks like 38 studios will likely shut down. it needed to sell 2 million to stay aflot, and it only sold around 1.4

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/38-studios-executives-testify-in-bankruptcy-hearing

EDIT: also apparently the state of rhode island currently owns the rights to the franchise now
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 am

Any chance Rhode Island will do a sequel you think?
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 am

More likely ea will buy the rights from Rhode island and publish it themselves.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am

Something about the thought of a state actually making a game amuses me.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 am

The state didn't make the game Liam. They gave Curt Schilling a loan to develop KOA and supposedly bring jobs to RI. Why did I know this wouldn't end well. Schilling is blaming 38 studios demise on the gov't because they apparently didn't keep the studios dire financial straits secret. How dare Rhode Island not keep publicly funded entities financial problems from the taxpayer who funded them.
Looks like the gov't is on the hook. Schilling is slime.......... I hate to say I told ya so... but I told ya so
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 am

I think he means now that RI owns the rights, the thought of them actually making a game with those rights is amusing. not that RI actually did make a game
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 am

nobody wrote:
I think he means now that RI owns the rights, the thought of them actually making a game with those rights is amusing. not that RI actually did make a game

What rights doe RI actually own ? I think they probably ended up with the proceeds from sell off office chairs and that kind of stuff at auction. Im not sure what RI would really own tbh.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 am

The legal rights for the franchise as a whole. If anyone wants to make a sequel they would have to go through ri .

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: kingdom of Amalur   kingdom of Amalur - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Pretty much that.^
They'd have to buy the rights from RI and would then be able to make more games in the series.
Back to top Go down

kingdom of Amalur

View previous topic View next topic Back to top