Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Final Fantasy XIII

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 5:39 am

Shocked

Thanks Monkey! Very thorough and very elaborate explanation, I now understand those items and their uses. I havent reached Vile Peaks yet, but with this information I presume I'll have an easier time.

Your friend/lover- Sponge Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 am

I put a list of how the weapons upgrade on one of the previous pages, so look at that before you decide to invest all your components into an item. Know what they can become is REALLY nice. Also, know what roles you want your guys to have, as certain weapons fulfill certain roles better.
Back to top Go down
QueensBoulevard
First Nation
First Nation
QueensBoulevard

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 am

To be honest, I've only begun to upgrade weapons now, and I'm in the middle of chapter 12. I havent really felt the need to, and I didn't want to invest money and items into something that I would want to dismantle later.

Right Now I'm trying to decide what to give Lightning and Fang (I use both as party leaders)
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 pm

What roles do they most commonly fill?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm

The only thing I've upgraded so far is Lightning's Gladius to it's next form. Has no special abilities attached, but it provided enough of a bonus to her strength when I needed it. That bugger atop the tower didn't do so well against a Hasted/Braved Commando with just under 900 str. Twisted Evil Having gotten to new role levels for Ravager, Commando, and Sentinel helped too.
I got to a Ceith Warp Stone in the next area so I've teleported back to before the tower. Heading even further back to do some sidequesting. Next boss won't catch me underleveled or ill equipped.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I just can't wait until I get all 9 Omega Weapons. Cool
Back to top Go down
QueensBoulevard
First Nation
First Nation
QueensBoulevard

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm

@omega 9

I use Lightning as a Primary Ravager and Fang as a commando

Lightning: Ravager first, then medic, then commando

Fang: Commando, then Sabateur, then sentinel

I still havent decided. Right now I'm running around in a certain area in chapter 12 training up. Although, at this point, it seems like every "normal" enemy is a mini boss. I refuse to face the next one with low stats

and, Cobalt, GL with the final boss of chapter 11. You'll probably fare better than I did. Took me at least 15 tries. It was more of not having the right strategy in place though.
Back to top Go down
ajacks101
New in the Nation

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Good to know about these items....I feel the same as Sponge I'm slow at this...the new battle system is taking a lot of getting used to I'm having trouble shifting paradigms, especially with a team like the kids and Sazh. It seems like all I'm watching are those HP numbers in the bottom right of the screen and I don't get to really watch the battle take place, I'm still too afraid to take my eyes off them cuz you look away for a second, and bam someone's (hopefully not the leader) dead.

Embarassed whoops sorry g/g Embarassed
Spoiler:

Great game though. Enjoy!

Cobalt Monkey wrote:
Don't feel slow, Spongey. The learning curve is pretty sharp. I made the mistake of initially approaching this system with the idea that every fight would have one good paradigm that you would use. I quickly learned otherwise. You have to be always ready to shift at a moment's notice. It takes practice, but hang in there and you'll adjust.

As to your question, the things you referred to are called "Components", and you're half right on both counts. Thinking Sorta.
I forget how far in you unlock level three, but if you've been through the Vile Peaks level then you can make use of them. A few of these are okay to sell off (Credit Chips, for example) there are several that you'll want to keep for later to use in weapon/accessory upgrading (which is selectable from the Save Point after Vile Peaks).
There are three types of components: Organic, Mechanical, and Catalyst
Catalyst components should never be sold. They're used to change your weapons' form, (you should have a mullerite(sp?) by now) and different weapons need different ones. They all have the word catalyst in their description.
Organic and Mechanical component are used to give a weapon or accessory EXP. You may have noticed that the items you have all have a level, and in the menu have a value of 0 out of so many EXP. Each component you use on an item gives it some EXP toward the goal, but they all have different values. Generally speaking, Organic components are worth less than Mechanical ones, but there's still good reason to use them.
There's a hidden number attached to each item aside from EXP. When this number passes certain points you'll get a multiplier to the number of EXP you get from all the components. It goes up to x3. Organic components increase the hidden number while providing less EXP, while Mechanical components decrease the hidden number (and your multiplier) but give much more EXP.
The short of it is that you should use cheap Organics components to raise a weapon's multiplier to x3 (Sturdy Bones are cheap and using 36 will give you an instant x3, purchasable), then use a bunch of Mechanical components to take advantage of it. Oh, and leftover EXP is carried into the next level.
Different items have different level caps. When the item you're upgrading's level is replaced by a star symbol, then it can't go any higher, BUT if you use a proper Catalyst on it it becomes another item (an improved version of itself). Initially it'll actually have lower stats than the one you changed it from, but it has a new level cap too so it can get much stronger.

Last edited by ajacks101 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can actually use the characters' motions and such to help avoid damage.
For example, the hound things in the tower I was talking about use an attack that does damage to everyone in an area around them. I watch for the indicator above their heads and if Lightning is attacking them, I'll cancel it. This causes her to back off (sometimes backflip) as her attacks end, and if the timing's right she'll dodge just in time. Another I've used in a few cases is having someone in the air before switching paradigms. Removes the shift animation, thus letting you move faster by a little bit.
Neither of these is direct control and so not flawless, just useful in a few instances.
A few other tips.
You don't have to keep your eyes on the HP bars all the time, though I did too in the beginning. The screen starts flashing whenever any of your characters get too low, so you'll know it's time for a healer when it does. Other than that you'll be good for a long time. Eventually you want to learn the names of bigger attacks used by enemies so that you can shift to a healing/damage reducing paradigm before it even hits.
Remember, you don't have to finish a fight at full health, or even with all characters standing. They'll all still get CP.
Try not to dodge too many fights. I have been bad about this in other games that allow it, but in this one you're given just about enough fights during a chapter to max any available Crystarium slots. At least until the later chapters, then you might have to farm a bit.

If anything gives you any trouble don't be afraid to ask for help here. We'll tell you what we can. We're good like that. Cool lol
Oh, but
Spoiler:
We don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't played that far yet.
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Well put Omega and Monkey, its members of this community that put the o and m in it. :o

Im at the Shiva Sisters part, tried it 3 times, and still cannot fill that orange gauge all the way to press the square button and win the match. Rolling Eyes
I placed Snow under Sentinnel like the IGN walkthru guide says but I still fail. No idea what Im doing wrong.
Anyhoo- Im sure Ill beat it the next time Im on, just too busy right now to fret about it. Puzzled

Anyways, this game is addicting and I wish I had more time to play it. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:01 am

That's a good strategy, but you can't just leave him sentinel. You have to go for the chain bonuses too, and sentinel damage dealing is minimal. When you see her go "ATB Charge", switch to Ravager and let loose, but try to leave one bar in each attack, canceling before it goes. When you think she's about to attack switch to Sentinel and quickly manually select Steelguard. Dumb AI will always try to Provoke to which she's immune if you auto cover.
Give that a shot. If it's still giving you trouble post back and I'll see what I can come up with.
Back to top Go down
ajacks101
New in the Nation

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:09 am

This took me a couple tries as well...

If I remember correctly I ended up trying to time my Defensive moves with Shiva's attacks, like when she was "Charging ATB Gauge" I think I would load all my 3 gauges with the Defense Sentinel thingy and hit it a little before I thought she was coming out of it, so that when she attacked me I was blocking and that Gestalt gauge filled up really fast every time she hit me and I was blocking.

The timing seemed to matter. Good luck!

Spongebobnopants wrote:
Well put Omega and Monkey, its members of this community that put the o and m in it. :o

Im at the Shiva Sisters part, tried it 3 times, and still cannot fill that orange gauge all the way to press the square button and win the match. Rolling Eyes
I placed Snow under Sentinnel like the IGN walkthru guide says but I still fail. No idea what Im doing wrong.
Anyhoo- Im sure Ill beat it the next time Im on, just too busy right now to fret about it. Puzzled

Anyways, this game is addicting and I wish I had more time to play it. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 am

Thanks dudes!
Will try that in the morning and post back with the results!
<3
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:31 am

I haz Chocobos. ^_^
Almost as good, there's another mission with an Ambling Bellows (on of the first things to give me trouble) only this time it's alone. And preemptable.
I did so and killed it in one round of attacks.
Vengeance is mine sayeth the Nerd! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:46 am

Cobalt Monkey wrote:
I haz Chocobos. ^_^
Almost as good, there's another mission with an Ambling Bellows (on of the first things to give me trouble) only this time it's alone. And preemptable.
I did so and killed it in one round of attacks.
Vengeance is mine sayeth the Nerd! Twisted Evil
Rolling Eyes
Nerd
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm

No, nerds are guys named poindexter that are small, scrawny, have parted hair, pocket protectors, acne so bad that it doubles as a to scale map of the himalaya's, and the tendancy to get off to calculus problems.

I believe that the correct term is "geek". Razz
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 pm

GEEK!!

In other news- I have reached Vile Peaks!
And Im not talking about the stripper I saw last week neither!
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:28 am

Sounds like the pron version of Twin Peaks.
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:30 am

Liam wrote:
Sounds like the pron version of Twin Peaks.
Starring Dolly Parton... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 am

I would.
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:40 am

Liam wrote:
I would.
Shocked
No you wouldn't??
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 am

I so would! Be like doing a manniquin.

So whos the hottest woman in FF13 in ye're opinion?
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 am

Lightning- I'd definitely throw her dog a bone.
Cool
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 am

Serah and Lightning then Vanille and Fang.
Then again all at the same time. *Drools*
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 am

Liam wrote:
Serah and Lightning then Vanille and Fang.
Then again all at the same time. *Drools*
Dude!
Serah is like 13 years old!
..and Vanille is a man.
Thinking

..dont know about Fang, havent gotten that far yet, but dude! Vanille is a guy!
Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIII

View previous topic View next topic Back to top