Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Fallout: New Vegas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I would watch that. Very Happy= :D

I think what we really need is an action/adventure style game like Arkham City or Devil May Cry, but in a world that's as big as a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game's.
Excited
I would pay much for that.
Back to top Go down
matt
Seventh Nation
matt

Nation Reputation : 9

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Hopefully the map that Rocksteady is describing is at least half the size of a good open world game's map.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. But I doubt it'll be quite what I mean. For example, it wouldn't surprise me to learn there aren't many more buildings that you can actually explore the inside of than there were in Arkham Asylum (not that I'm complaining as those buildings were pretty darn sweet). But compare that with a game like Oblivion where if you can see a building then you can pretty much get in it and do whatever. That's what keeps a modern cityscape from being used like this. There's just no way, and little reason, to create each individual apartment on 20 story highrise. Games like GTA have modern settings, and you can get just about anywhere on them using a helicopter. But the world itself didn't feel very defined to me.

Here's a better example of what I'd like to see.

Take Super Mario 64.
Now do away with the jumping into paintings stuff, the loading screens, the pointlessly limited number of lives.
Rip the levels out of there, and sew them all together in a way that makes sense. The mountain level with the King Bomb is bordered by a large body of water that contains Bowser's sub dock. On the other side of that is the volcano level. The giant snowman level is a ways to the north, and the thwomp level floats in the sky.
Now, I'm not at all sure how this would all work out. For example, what happens when you die? Or fall off of the thwomp level? I'm not sure a pure platformer like Mario can use a save system similar to Morrowind's. Perhaps you could give people a sort of limited Mark & Recall with a number of uses that's upgradable at the game goes on. Drop a Mark anywhere you want, and you can Recall to it as long as you have charges (and aren't in boss fights, etc). Sort of like the Prince of Persia games, but the charges just regen over time.
Obviously that's just one issue that might crop up, but I think a concept like this would be great if you could get everything ironed out.
Back to top Go down
matt
Seventh Nation
matt

Nation Reputation : 9

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 am

CobaltMonkey wrote:
Yeah, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. But I doubt it'll be quite what I mean. For example, it wouldn't surprise me to learn there aren't many more buildings that you can actually explore the inside of than there were in Arkham Asylum (not that I'm complaining as those buildings were pretty darn sweet). But compare that with a game like Oblivion where if you can see a building then you can pretty much get in it and do whatever. That's what keeps a modern cityscape from being used like this. There's just no way, and little reason, to create each individual apartment on 20 story highrise. Games like GTA have modern settings, and you can get just about anywhere on them using a helicopter. But the world itself didn't feel very defined to me.

Here's a better example of what I'd like to see.

Take Super Mario 64.
Now do away with the jumping into paintings stuff, the loading screens, the pointlessly limited number of lives.
Rip the levels out of there, and sew them all together in a way that makes sense. The mountain level with the King Bomb is bordered by a large body of water that contains Bowser's sub dock. On the other side of that is the volcano level. The giant snowman level is a ways to the north, and the thwomp level floats in the sky.
Now, I'm not at all sure how this would all work out. For example, what happens when you die? Or fall off of the thwomp level? I'm not sure a pure platformer like Mario can use a save system similar to Morrowind's. Perhaps you could give people a sort of limited Mark & Recall with a number of uses that's upgradable at the game goes on. Drop a Mark anywhere you want, and you can Recall to it as long as you have charges (and aren't in boss fights, etc). Sort of like the Prince of Persia games, but the charges just regen over time.
Obviously that's just one issue that might crop up, but I think a concept like this would be great if you could get everything ironed out.
Yeah, there's just too much to focus on BM:AC to let the player explore buildings. That's a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:38 am

Still buying Arkham City though.

Lol @ Monkey: "The hero Goodsprings deserves... but not the one it needs right now."
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Credit where it's due, the first half of that accompanied the picture where I found it on reddit.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 am

so I picked this up last week nib for eight bucks. Would it be a good RPG for a smart ten year old ??Or should I play it even tho I have Skyrim now also.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 am

It's a much different experience than an Elder Scrolls game, and definitely deserves to be played.

But as for letting a kid play it... I wouldn't.

The gore is much harsher than Skyrim, even with the decapitations thrown in. When you shoot someone in the head, it most often explodes messily. You can find the pieces of skull, eyeballs, and assorted gore strewn about afterwards. There's even a perk, Bloody Mess, which (aside from an accompanying damage bonus) is mostly geared toward making each kill more gory. Dismemberment is also quite common.

The language is fine for an adult, but it's not something I think a kid should hear. Take this stellar example from Cassy, one of your potential followers, as she talks about the difficulties that one of the game's military factions is having regarding their attempt to maintain control of a territory so far from their base of power.
Spoiler:

In addition, they do not skirt the topic of sex. There are numerous scantily clad ladies of the evening in the town of New Vegas itself, commonly with only carefully placed black tape standing in for their tops. It may be New Vegas, but it's still based on Vegas, after all.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:00 am

Play the crap out of it though, well worth playing.

Oh Cass, thy sonnets, they set my heart all a flutter.

There is some DLC out for it also which is definitely not for kids. Haven't played it myself but from others who have, it is not something you would give a kid or have a kid in the room with while you play. My 15 year old Nephew has it and I was thinking to myself "He shouldn't be playing it." But that's on the parents.

There is a lot of dismemberment as Monkey says, as well as disintegrations and melting dependent on the weapon used. Very different from Skyrim, but with familiar touches. Still a good game to play.

Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 am

no, especially not the VATS kill shots.

but darned if i dont love the humor of the fallout universe! its a nice contrast to the crushing seriousness of skyrim.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks for the input guys. He has been asking for a RPG game and I don't have much experience in that area. I did get him the Pokemon Soul Silver he's been asking for for Christmas so that should give me a bit of time to find the right RPG. Maybe I'll just let him play a bit of Skyrim after I get into it.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 am

...He wants in on RPG's?
Final Fantasy. Anyone one from 1-12 not including 11 or 10-2.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

Nation Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Oh, and if you have a female character and the Black Widow perk you can get a very long black screen when, er, "hanging out" with Benny. Shocked

I personally think Fallout 3 is better than NV, but if you can get it to work and it was only $8 then it's worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:01 pm

final fantasy 9 was brilliant, and great for all ages.

for some reason i was able to charm the pants off of men in NV.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 6:16 am

I robbed the pants off men in New Vegas.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm

choo-choo! the pleasure train is pullin into new vegas!
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:55 am

Which is better, NV or Fallout 3 ? , maybe a short review from one of those who have played at least 20 hours ?, I am looking at my next gaming purchase.

I loved Skyrim (100 hours played) and am ready to get into another big RPG, about how much game time can I expect from this and F3 ?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 am

Get both. Be equally hooked. NV has some nice little touches. fallout 3 is more desolate. Both have their good points and bad points.

Honestly though, were I you I would get both. Neither game is relient on the other in terms of story, opposite ends of the country basically.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Received my Copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition by courier today. Won't be playing it for a looonnnngggg time though with such a huge backlog of games now. Curse those cheap game deals at Easter Wink .
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:00 am

Nearly 1 1/2 months on and still haven't even put this in my PS3 lol. Also have BioShock 2 unopened and Demon's Souls barely started. Exams end this week and 3 day weekend (public holiday on Monday) so will go hard-core then Wink
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:22 am

Dang I dunno how you can leave a game unopened like that, it would bug the hell out of me. Glad you got your priorities right though.
Back to top Go down
Jmw566
Seventh Nation
Jmw566

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 7:16 pm

I just beat this game yesterday. T'was awesome.

I talked my way out of the final two battles after I died on the last one. I did not take enough stimpacks in seeing as I hadn't bought stimpacks since like the beginning of the game.

I lived off sunset sasparilla and nuka cola for 90% of this game.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

I'll get to finish it one day...
If I can ever get that far in the storyline without it freezing up on me every two minutes.
Angry :angry:
Back to top Go down
Jmw566
Seventh Nation
Jmw566

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:
I'll get to finish it one day...
If I can ever get that far in the storyline without it freezing up on me every two minutes.
Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 358494
Freezes are so annoying. Apparently the 360 version doesn't freeze near as much.

Also, I wish the DLC was discounted because the game is getting older instead of remaining the same price forever basically.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas   Fallout: New Vegas - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Yeah, I just got an Ultimate version with all of it in there. Way cheaper than buying the game and each DLC. Did the same thing with Fallout 3. Probably do the same with the next fallout.
Back to top Go down

Fallout: New Vegas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top