Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 1:33 am

First of all, I like oranges. They're good and good for you. What does that have to do with Dragon Age? Nothing. What's wrong? I'm not allowed to share useful facts all of a sudden? Well, same to you, pal. tongue

It's been a bit since I played so I'll only cover the stuff that has been requested.
"Character Development, what to expect in regards to combat via comparison to say Oblivion, is it open world? stuff along those lines."
The following are my personal opinions. Any others who have played this can feel free to disagree, or if I was vague then go ahead and elaborate. Sey, I know you've been through this too. Any additional thoughts?
Here goes.

Character Development
It isn't as varied as you might hope, but there is enough to keep things interesting. Fighter types fight up close via 2handed weapon/weapon & shield/dual wielding, Casters have a bit more to chose from with multiple elemental trees as well as healing and nonelemental magics, and thieves are, well, sneaky. What all you can do depends largely on what character type you choose. You can decide where your stat points earned at level up go, which determine things like what weapons/armor your character can use, as well as the standard things like damage, HP, etc.
In addition to your starting class' talents you can also learn Specializations at levels 7 and 14, unlocking four new abilities apiece to be learned. These can greatly alter your playing style. Provided that you've obtained training or manuals for them.
There are various skills as well, but not a whole lot gets done with them. Persuasion didn't get as much as it has in other games, but still could be useful. I did kind of like how it was split into Intimidation (based off of Strength) and Coercion (based off of Charisma). Potion making was used a lot. Like, a LOT a lot. You can also make poisons to coat your weapons, pick locks and pockets (Warning! There's a glitch with stealing from people. It doesn't always give you anything even when you succeed. Mad ), make traps (which are of limited use, imho), and a couple others which escape me at the moment.
Example Character (aka, My Character):
Origin: Human Noble, male
Base class: Rogue
Specializations: Duelist and Assassin
Weapon Spec: Duel Wield
Stats: (Can't recall specifics) High Dexterity (for attack/damage), Charisma (for persuading), Strength (for wearing good armor). Mediocre other stats.
Skills: Focus on thievery skills and coercion.
To be honest, this guy was designed a bit clumsily. I started out with a thief and ended up with a tank. lol
Next playthrough I intend to try out the mage spec combo of Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage. bounce
In short, there should be enough variety to keep you happy, especially seeing as you also control the development of all your party members. Which brings me to....

Combat
Not so much Oblivion as it is KotOR wearing an Oblivion suit. Not surprising as it is a Bioware game.
You control one character at a time in a party of up to four. You can set their behaviors, or you can switch to them at any time and give them commands directly. I had to do this only rarely as the AI is pretty good.
Again, like KotOR (or FF XII for that matter) you control where you are during an encounter so you can maneuver to an opponent's flank to get in more damage, or try to get out on an enemy's attack range.

World
Not open world. You travel from one set piece to another via a map screen, though you will often get in random encounters (again in other set pieces) along the way. When and where you get an encounter may be random, but the fights and such themselves are all scripted. Not a bad thing really.

Story
Nicely done, but again it is a Bioware game, so not a big surprise. All origins merge after the opening chapters, but that doesn't mean things aren't any different after there. I believe you even get different party members depending on who you start as.

Other things to do
Lots of side quests ranging from Marks to fetch quests to a couple extra dungeons.
Of the most interest to the one who initially requested this info is likely to be the fact that you can romance your followers. Giving them gifts and selecting the right conversation options will advance your relationships with them. (Hint: If you liked that one trophy from Heavy Rain, then you'll be pleased to hear there are four similar ones in this game.)

Despite the relatively early hour I'm actually beginning to nod off. If there's anything else you'd like to know, then post up and I'll reply when I'm awake. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:55 am

Nice info. The use of weapons and skills, can I control when they swing the swords, say like pressing R1 to hit someone, L1 to cast a spell, or does it work like the gambit system?

Romancing eh? It has sxe scenes?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Not exactly. You input the command and then they do it. For spellcasting you'll select the spell, then time will freeze while you pick it's target or area. Meanwhile, your allies will be working more like the gambit system, until you tell them to do otherwise.
This is basically a turn based game put into motion.
You do get to select which skills you're using at any time from either the radial menu that opens when you hold a button, or from the six quick select slots. You get to pick which skills to map to them too.

Ah, found a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdvexL1NsU

Very PG-13 ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Like Monkey said, you pretty much tell the character to do a certain action and they go with it. You set up a series of commands for the AI chars to follow and you keep control of the main char, or whichever one you want to. you can set certain attacks/magic/other to hotbuttons for ease of access as well.

I really enjoyed playing through it, but remember to SAVE! I tried to start a second playthrough, but my gaming add kicked in and i traded it in for something else.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 4:40 am

Thinking Hmmm okay.
Next question. It has ze boobies?
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 4:42 am

Bewbies?? Where?!?
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:08 am

I love this game. I really do. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:17 am

Spongebobnopants wrote:
Bewbies?? Where?!?
Shocked
Put that away, Sponge. No nudity. Or in the game for that matter.
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:20 am

Sad

*Goes to play GoW, where boobies are endless*

affraid
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:27 am

Dagnabit. facepalm2

Ah well seeing as Lisa needs something to buy me I'll still let her get it for me.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:32 am

You know, if the lady parts are what you really want...
I mean, she IS a girl, right? *Hint*

Maybe she knows a good plastic surgeon.

Get you set up with your very own pair.
Razz
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 5:33 am

(-_-)..!. Pixel pwns over silicone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 8:47 am

nah, no nudity, which is fine. if you want that, just go to the internet. the "sexual situation" screens are really horrible, and I actually would have preferred that they weren't even there. they don't do much for you but get you in/out of good graces with some characters.

There was one place where the game really lost me...I won't say where as to not spoil the fun for you, and maybe this won't be a problem for you, but there's a section full of nothing but fetch quests, almost a few hours worth, and that just annoyed me. It was like they needed to add something to that part of the game to stretch it a bit and just decided to do it the easy way for them.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:33 am

Right so playing through the six origins as mixed sexes so far my favourite I think is the Human Mage Woman. I like tha mage class cause it gots some nice looking spell animations that look cool and the story thus far is interesting.

Dwarf Casteless is a bit confusing, Probably cause I was sleeping when I was doing it, but Dwarf Noble is pretty good.

Human Noble was fun if not all "Happy family" like. Managed to sweet talk an elf woman into the bed.

Elf City folk was interesting with the darker feel to Racist and peoples rights. Dalish Elf I am liking as well, probably cause I got a nice curvy sword very early on but the story is pretty good.

Looking through the different classes and abilities, along with which way I can go about them the mage class seems to be more for me. I can choose 2 further learning like say Shapeshifter and Blood Mage can't I?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:46 pm

You get two Specializations. One at level 7 and another at 14. Also, you have to have found their tombs, or received training.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 am

Sorted.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:12 am

Lesus wrote:
OOOOH SEY! Check this out

Let's see... Thinking

Shocked

Excited Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*faints*
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:17 am

That weapon he be holding looks cool and seems Elvish in design. Always did like elvish Weaponry.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 am

I would like to know what is about, is the story in Ferelden again? Is this immediately after the first DO? Will we see the same characters again? Thinking I loved the first one because of the complexity of personal relationships between your character and the rest, and the fact that your choices change the story and your chances to do some things or anothers, starting with which character you choose. I cannot wait to play this one.

I like elven weapons too Very Happy= :D In my last game I kept hold of the Dalish stuff just because I liked how it looked lol
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Lesus wrote:
Spectulation/Rumour/Information Thingy

Thinking New gameplay style might be good, hopefully it won't be too different though. Very Happy= :D
I want to see the old characters in there!!! Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

Nation Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 7:40 pm

should i be picking up items of dead bodies do you find usefull stuff
on bodies
this will be the first of many Qs to come Smile
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 1:30 am

Absolutely. Loot everything you come across. That's where you get things like money, weapons, etc. Never leave a corpse unlooted. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

Nation Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:47 am

CobaltMonkey wrote:
Absolutely. Loot everything you come across. That's where you get things like money, weapons, etc. Never leave a corpse unlooted. Smile

cool i have been loting a lot and i picked up a Rune of fire
it sounds usefull dose it go on your weapons?
Back to top Go down

Dragon Age: Origins & Dragon Age 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top